List of Tools required
A little background. For over four years, my 2001 Roadstar has had intermittent issues with the speedo/gas gauge. The odometer and all the dash/instrument lights worked just fine, just the speedo and gas gauge would act up. The lists of symptoms are:
Over the years I’ve tried the following in an attempt to correct the issue:
Lots of time, money and frustration trying to solve this issue, until my last circuit/wiring tracing task.
I was thinking power to the electronics in the meter, so I was testing all the connections/voltages in the two plugs leading to the meter. Everything was testing correctly, all contacts were good, power was good, and grounds were good. So I decided to take the meter apart. While I had the meter apart, I decided to take out the custom speedo face that I had installed a number of years ago. It had faded considerably and I had a spare I was going to put in. When I started to remove the pointers for the speedo and gas gauges, I notice that they were stuck to the stop pins on the meter face. When they became unstuck from the pins, I plugged the meter back in and the test sweep worked correctly. I turned the key on and off a few times, on the fourth time, the speedo needle did not do the test sweep. I pushed the needle a little, and sure enough it was stuck to the pin again. Test sweep worked fine 5 more times.
So, I removed the custom face, did not put the spare back in thinking maybe off gassing from
the “special UV inhibitor archival ink” or the “special photographic quality paper” was causing
this stickiness. I used rubbing alcohol to clean the needles and the stop pins on the face, I
installed little plastic protective sleeves on the stop pins. You may not have to install the
sleeves, cleaning may be enough. I just did this as a extra protection.
These were some kind of earring post protectors that I got from my wife. She says you can get them at any jewelry store. (seen here next to the gas needle)
I reassembled the meter and put it back on the bike. That was over 100 start cycles and 3 weeks ago (as of June 26, 2012) and the gauges are still working great. Hope this helps someone else that has been suffering thru the same issues that I have. UPDATE: As of April 15, 2014 the fix is still working great.
The process is pretty simple